First post in October! I know, it’s been too long.
If you can only read two:
- Squat (Mike Robertson) – A huge, detailed post on the squat. Comprehensive and well written. I know a lot about squatting, and I still learned plenty from this. A must-read.
- Fuckarounditis (Martin Berkhan) – Hilarious post about not fucking around in your diet and training. Get it together, people.
- The WAsh Progression For Learning The Squat – New to squatting? Start here. After 2 months, read the above post by MRob. Twice.
Other great fitness posts from the last 2 weeks:
- How to Get Ripped (Mike Robertson) – Nothing revolutionary here, just solid advice on the basics of getting ripped (for guys and girls). Great quote from this one: “In my best Yoda voice, ‘There is no tone – only burn fat, build muscle you will.’” So true.
- Excuses, Excuses.(fortheloveofcookies) – Some girl whose blog I do not normally follow takes on the “fat apologists” of the world . Color me impressed by her stance, and her obvious hard work. She looks the part, despite her apparent love of cookies.
- 5 Surprising Health Myths (LiveStrong.com) – These wont be surprising to you if you read my blog, but they’re worth revisiting.
- Bulletproof Your Back (Bret Contreras via MuscleMag.com) – Nice post on protecting your lower back with the right exercises. I like that Bret continues to try to popularize the term “American Deadlift”. Hey, the Romanians have one…
- Fat Tax?? WTF Denmark?? WTF in deed. (Dean Somerset) – Right on the heels of my concerns last week about the government making horrible nutritional regulalations, we get a “fat tax” in Denmark. Never mind that saturated fat doesn’t cause heart disease and is critical to hormone production…
- Low Levels of Vitamin D Linked with Diabetes (Dr. Jonny Bowden) – Pretty self explanatory. Just more reasons to take your vitamin D.
- The Case for the Food Reward Hypothesis of Obesity, Part I (Stephen Guyenet) – Setting up the evidence for “food reward” as the driver of obesity.
- The Best Cardio You’re Not Doing (Chad Waterbury) – Walking. It’s the new thing! Best for those of us already taxing our recovery systems though, so only if you’re getting tons of high intensity exercise already.
- Is Junk Food Really Cheaper? (NYTimes) – Nope. Quit your complaining. (a calorie isn’t necessarily a calorie)
- 8 Health Reasons to Have Sex (Mark Sisson) – As if you needed them…
- Strong Is The New Sexy(interview with Rachel Guy) – I’ve always said a girl in the squat rack is automatically 2 points hotter on a 10 point scale.
- Humans on a Cafeteria Diet (Stephan Guyenet) – Exposing people to tons of high calorie, palatable foods causes fat gain. Surprise!
Bonus pic for the ladies, since I had two for the guys already.