Today we’re back with the rest of the great posts from the last month.
As a postscript to yesterday’s post, Irene really didn’t do a whole lot here in New York. I didn’t even lose power. As expected, the whole thing was way overblown by media and government alike.
If You Can Only Read One (OK, Three)
- Attention Ladies: Here’s PROOF that Lifting Heavy Weights will NOT make you Big and Bulky (JCDFitness) – Tons of profiles of lady lifters. Excellent stuff.
- Bench Press (Mike Robertson) – Extremely detailed bench press article from MRob. Must read.
- The Carbohydrate Hypothesis of Obesity: a Critical Examination (Stephen Guyenet) – Stephen is slowly changing my opinion on the carbohydrate hypothesis. Not going to start stuffing my face with carbs, but changing some underlying assumptions for sure.
- Combating The Effects Of Your Desk, Part 3 – Mobility drills to counteract those effects
- Nike & Precision Nutrition Tackle the NFL (Nate Green) – Awesome article on Precision Nutrition training up the guys at the Nike NFL Pro Training Camp.
- The Modern “Gym” (Jason Ferruggia) – Not a pretty picture
- Intimidate the Weight (Tony Gentilcore) – “I don’t care if you’re deadlifting, squatting, or benching – approach the bar and intimidate the weight!!! Shake it. Make it your bitch. Tell it it’s ugly.”
- Should You Take A Statin Drug? (Dr. Jonny Bowden) – Debatable, but probably not, especially if you are a woman.
- Too Much Sugar Increases Risk for Heart Disease (Dr. Jonny Bowden) – Self-explanatory
- Rigged Economics Add to Healthy-Food Prices (Brian St. Pierre) - “Over the past decade, the federal government has poured more than $50 billion into the corn industry, keeping prices for the crop…artificially low.” The government, always looking out for you…
- 5/3/1 Full Body Training: Squat, Press, Pull (Jim Wendler) – I love 5/3/1. I’ve been doing it for 7 months. Love this full body variation.
- Kill The Personal Trainers (TC Luoma) – Most of them are really that bad.
- The #1 Tip for the Hormonally F*cked Hardgainer (Jason Ferruggia)
- The War On Raw Milk (Jason Ferruggia) – Is this the government fucking things up again? Yes, I believe it is.
- The Methods Of Intermittent Fasting (Nia Shanks) – I haven’t done much of this, but when I have, it’s worked. Nice overview here.
- 5 Ways the Nutrition Field Hinders Its Own Progress (Small Bites) – 5 pieces of crap you mostly hear from Dietitians which hurt the field.
- 3 Deadlifting Tips You May Have Never Heard Before (Brenden Rearick)
- JB on Paleo, Intermittent Fasting & Self-Experimentation (John Berardi) – When nutrition god John Berardi speaks, we would all do well to listen closely.
- Precision Nutrition’s “My Plate” (John Berardi) – Better versions of MyPlate by Precision Nutrition. Very nicely done.
- 30 Minutes To Train A Beauty Queen (Chris Kelly) – Notice there’s no slow cardio