It has been quite some time since I last posted anything and even longer since we had a “Shared Wisdom.” Unfortunately for the continuity of the blog, I work a full time job, so I usually blog on Saturday, and for the last 5 straight Saturdays I have either had company visiting me in NYC or been at the beach. Tough life I know.
Fortunately for the blog, Hurricane Irene is bearing down on NYC, so there’s no one traveling to the city, and there’s no chance of me slipping off to the beach and avoiding writing anything. I can literally blog all weekend! Until the power goes out anyway.
In case you happen to be concerned, my apartment in Manhattan’s Lower East Side is outside of the evacuation zone (even the extended zone for a Category 4 landfall). Since Irene is now a Category 1 and may be down to a Tropical Storm when it gets here, my location should be fine. Thanks for asking.
Due to the month of articles and posts that have accrued since the last time I did one of these, I’m splitting this post into two chunks. If the power is still on tomorrow, I’ll post Part 2!
If You Can Only Read One:
- The Big Lie (Dr. Michael Eades) – “Nutritionally I can’t think of a bigger lie than the one claiming that fats in general and saturated fats in particular are bad for us.” Amen. Read this.
- Combating The Effects Of Your Desk, Part 2 – In this part, I discuss things you can do at your desk to make it more posture and health friendly.
- Fitness Secrets Of Hollywood Stars – The truth about Hollywood bodies.
- Rollouts: Friend Or Foe (Eric Cressey) – Rollouts are my favorite ab/core exercise. Cressey defends them here.
- Whey (Not Soy) Protein Shakes Help You Stay Thin (Dr. Jonny Bowden) – Self explanatory
- Ryan Andrews, Lunch Lady (Ryan Andrews via Precision Nutrition) – Ryan tackles the disgraceful state of school lunches. His approach is a little vegetarian for me, but he makes good points.
- Top 20 Bodyweight Exercises for Building Muscle & Strength (Jason Ferruggia) – Great list of bodyweight exercises by JF. High frequency bodyweight training is getting a good rep for muscle growth these days.
- Alternative Workstations Make Offices Healthy (DailyBurn Life) – Dovetails nicely with my “Combating The Effects Of Your Desk” series.
- Best Exercises You Could Ever Do: Dumbell Bench Deadlift (Dean Somerset) – Funky looking but effective
- Still Counting Calories? Your Weight-Loss Plan May Be Outdated (NYTimes) – Go NYTimes!
- Is Saturated Fat Really the Dietary Bogeyman? (Brian St. Pierre) – Not at all. Trans fats take that title. Replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated (vegetable oil) probably isn’t a good idea either.
- Can Shoes Really Tone the Body? (NYTimes) – Not according to most published studies.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, My Way (Stephan Guyenet) – Great rendition of what the FDA’s new “MyPlate” should have looked like.
Bonus, Newly Popular Old Fitfinity Article:
- Lift Like A Girl – For some reason, this older post got lit up on August 18 with a ton of traffic, most of it from Facebook. It picked up about 50 likes in one day. Not sure what was going on, but I’m OK with it.